Visit Konga

Thursday 26 November 2015

Would-Be Rapist Caught on Facebook


A young woman who fought off a would-be rapist outside her home brought the man to justice after tracking him down on FACEBOOK.

Chanel Purchase, 21, spent hours trawling through the website shortly after her ordeal to find a photo of the stranger who attacked her after accompanying her home from a nightclub.

He never gave his name but she remembered he had mentioned some mutual friends.
Checks on her computer led to her spotting a photo of James Huggett, 22, who was arrested the next day after she handed details to police. He denied attempted rape but was convicted last week following a trial.

‘It should have been the police’s job to find him but I wanted it over and done with,’ she said. ‘It wouldn’t have been easy to identify him if I hadn’t found the picture so I think I helped solve the case.’

The assault happened after Miss Purchase left a club in Sheerness, Kent, to walk home. ‘He approached me outside and asked for a lighter,’ she said.

‘We got talking and he asked for my number but he didn’t tell me his name. I said I was going to go home and he asked if I wanted to go with him - I just laughed it off.’


She allowed the young man to walk her home and she was yards away from her door when he pushed her to the ground and pulled down her leggings and underwear before trying to rape her. He fled when she struggled and screamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment